Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 6 Muffin Monday and Rationing Eggs


We were off to a great start making oatmeal muffins for "Muffin Monday" breakfast. Most of the muffins one buys now are more like cake than a real muffin recipe so I modified this recipe from an oatmeal cake recipe, added lots of walnuts and the children exclaimed "Incredibly delicious!"
The twist from a normal muffin was that I substituted 3 TBS of flax meal for 3 of the 5 eggs. The children are a little tired of everything being rationed and had to fry an egg. That meant I have to sacrifice somewhere else.

On a day to day basis, part of my preparedness plan is to let the children learn to cook at an early age and frying an egg is step number one. I think I have enough eggs on hand but I am not planning on serving scrambled eggs. A dozen eggs will bake a lot of cookies and cakes. It is easy to substitute for eggs in most baked goods and is even possible to make items like crepes that require a lot of egg in a traditional recipe. One good resource to learn how to substitute is lacto-ovo vegetarian cookbooks. I have some substitutions listed in the recipe blog. Sometimes it is better to substitute and egg in a baked good and enjoy the real "fried egg." The family will get to taste dried eggs tomorrow. I have had those around forever and they are nasty. I don't even want to ruin a batch of muffins by using dried eggs. We'll see what everyone else says in the morning.

Lunch: Tuna Sandwiches with homemade dill pickles from a friend's garden 2009.

Dinner: Minestrone Soup - Recipe in "Recipe blog"
I had an "Aha!" moment today as I prepared the soup. I used the pressure cooker to cook dried red beans. It takes 3-6 minutes! I brought them to a boil, let them soak for 45 min-1 hour, drained the water and added fresh water to cover the beans, then sealed the cooker and brought it up to a boil. They were done! Pressure cookers are fuel efficient and used on sail boats and other places where refueling is difficult. This is so much faster than traditional boiling. Marvelous.

No comments:

Post a Comment