Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 15 Preserving Produce


My husband gets the credit for this trick. If celery is wrapped in tin foil and then refrigerated it lasts for months. It has been 4 weeks since I last purchased celery and it is as crisp and firm as ever. When I open a new stalk, I use the middle sections with all the small light green leaves first in a soup or stuffing. Then I put all the larger sections back in the plastic sack and rewrap it in the tin foil. I have cabbage and head lettuce wrapped the same way. Stay posted to see how well they are preserved.
Breakfast: Bread pudding
Lunch: Tuna melts with cheese whiz mixed in the tuna, put in a sandwich, then grilled
Dinner: Freezer meal of Jambayala

7 comments:

  1. By week 6-7 the celery turned to mush. I lost one of the 8 large stalks this way. But we enjoyed fresh crisp celery for half of our three month journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I've stored celery in aluminum foil before but not to preserve it longer. I just didn't have any bags handy. Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you wash the produce before putting in the aluminum foil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not wash the celery nor broccoli. We wrapped the foil over the plastic bags in which the celery was purchased. Thanks, Crystal

      Delete
  4. If you cut the bottoms off the celery pop them into a vase of water for a couple of days set in a sunny location then plant it in loose well watered soil you can regrow that stock of celery. I do this on a regular basic I add a half teaspoon of sugar and Epson salt to the water then dump that to the soil while you have a hole in it for the celery ready to plant. Seems to work fine down here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am not a great gardener but I am excited to try this. I have loved having an indoor plant of basil the last six months that I snip at and enjoy an exotic twist to favorite meals. Indoor plants can really help recycle the grocery dollars. Thank you for your comment, Lady Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete