Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 2 I want to Govern Myself


I must admit this is crazy. I have 10 children and school six at home. Why do I want to voluntarily increase my stress load? I took an inventory of the chest freezer and found we have a meat base for 40 meals for 10 people. In three months there are 270 meals times 10 people. Four hundred meals is far short of 2700! This could be an interesting challenge. The children pointed out we could shop online and still "not go the the grocery store" for three months. Ha, Ha, Ha, Nice Try!

As I wonder why I am doing this, I must admit that I am concerned about our nation. The growing welfare state and the entitlement mentality is frightening and even infuriating as our representatives continue to ignore the people. The bottom line is that I want to be free to govern myself. I want to give my children the gift of gratitude and self reliance.

Dinner last night was chicken enchiladas made with chicken cooked diced and frozen March 2009. Instead of tossing it in the garbage, we mixed it with cream cheese, extended with homemade yogurt cream cheese, chopped celery and lemon pepper. Anything of questionable age should be heated thoroughly to ensure safety so I baked these enchiladas in a rich cream of chicken soup mixed with "Magic Mix" white sauce for 30 minutes at 350. The meal was delicious even though the 8 year old took one look and said, "Yuk." After the first bite, she proceeded to eat it without further complaint.

Breakfast: Leftover pineapple cobbler topped with homemade vanilla yogurt

Lunch: Leftover enchiladas

Snack: chocolate chip cookies

Dinner: Beef and vegetable teriyaki stir fry over rice. Yea! We used another pound of meat that was getting old. The teriyaki sauce is homemade and builds convenience into this meal that takes 20 minutes to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment